- The dinner table (or family/communal eating venue) is the most important performance venue in the world.
- All people rehearse and perform themselves at the dinner table, in particular by using the universal art form of storytelling.
- These mealtime performances do more to reinforce identity and communities than any other influence.
- Through the communal act of eating performances change from the "official" persona we present to the "unofficial" persona we are.
- By sharing meals and sharing stories with strangers or people from another culture (called "others" in Cultural Studies) boundaries can be dissolved and understandings created.
- While both food and stories have become commodities the rewards for sharing/trading/barting them is far greater socially than in capital.
- Everyone has something to bring to the table.
Monday, October 18, 2010
What is Social Potluck?
Social Potluck is a philosophy more than anything else. It is the belief that the heart of culture, art and society is located at the dinner table. Social Potluck states that: